- A reading (8 minutes) of The Womanizer, a novel in progress, at the Atlantic Center for the Arts, Florida, Fall 2018
- “No Shortcuts,” creative nonfiction, Hotel Amerika, Fall 2021 (forthcoming)
- “Day of the Dead,” flash fiction, 5×5, Fall 2021 (forthcoming)
- “Pretty Boy Floyd,” short story, Fiction Southeast, Fall 2019
- “Set Me Free,” short story, Hotel Amerika, Winter 2017
- “The Pool at Chualteca,” short story, The Adirondack Review, Summer 2010
This story earned a Recommended Reading citation from Dark Sky Magazine.
On the tarmac at the Acapulco airport, after twelve hours of traveling and in the heat of late afternoon, I faint. Three elderly women surround me. I can hear their voices calling to the officials, Ayuda! La senora…ayuda! Ayuda! (Click to read more).
- “Pearls: a belated letter to my grandmother,” creative nonfiction, Redwood Coast Review, Winter 2009
This essay was solicited for and reprinted in Menda City Review, June 2009.
I had been reading that address you left in Richmond, along with the tattered scrapbook, your cards and letters to women in Southern states I’d never visited, places I should’ve spent summers arriving as Ruthie’s youngest granddaughter from California, Ruthie’s granddaughter who’ll ruby if she’s left in the sun too long, a girl who’s never seen fireflies or hunted possums on hot nights with cousins through the Arkansas hills. (Click to read more).